Ruparelia Group and 50 others honored as URA lists Uganda’s top taxpayers
KAMPALA, UGANDA: Ruparelia Group — owned by businessman Sudhir Ruparelia has been listed among Uganda’s top tax-payers recognized by Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) in the 2021 Tax-payers Awards.
The Annual Taxpayers Awards Ceremony held on Friday at the URA head offices in nakawa, Kampala was a culmination of a two-months Taxpayers Appreciation Season listing Uganda’s top compliant taxpayers.
Mr. John Rujoki Musinguzi, URA’s Commissioner-General in his speech at the ceremony described the moment as a special and said despite the impact of COVID-19 on the economy, they managed to perform well between July and November because of compliant taxpayers.
“One of the reasons why this is special is that as an organization it is a crowning moment for a series of events that we have been having to celebrate 30 years of existence. We started this season on the 15th of September at Kololo airstrip when we had a thanksgiving ceremony to celebrate the small and medium taxpayers across the country and extend a hand in a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) to a number of institutions. So, today marks the end of that season of celebration and appreciation of our valued partners in the journey of developing our nation,” Musinguzi said.
He added that URA is widening the tax base by adopting and deploying modern technology like artificial intelligence and data analytics to identify all potential sources of revenue.
Mr Musinguzi said that URA is instituting mechanisms through which all qualifying citizens and economic players will be able to make their fair contribution to the revenue basket and these are all within the ambit of the Domestic Resource Mobilization Strategy.
Speaking as Chief Guest, Finance Minister Matia Kasaija said through taxes, government is able to build roads, hospitals, schools, security and finance on its own budget.
Currently, he said that Uganda finances only 50% of her budget, meaning that he has to borrow the remaining 50%. As a result, he said the aim is now to increase the tax to GDP ratio from the current 13% to about 20%.
Some of the compliant taxpayers and partners who were awarded included; Davis & Shirtliff, Housing Finance Bank, Citi Bank, and New Vision.
Below is the full list of companies and individuals that URA honored at the taxpayer awards ceremony
- Winner: Citi Bank
- 1st runner-up: Davis & Shirtliff
- 2nd runner-up: Housing Finance Bank
- Strategic Media Partner: New Vision
- Strategic MDA: URSB
- Strategic MDA: UPDF
- Strategic Professional Body: International Institute of Internal Auditors and SEATINI
- African Tax administrators’ forum
- Vantage Awards
- Classic Africa Safaris
- Pride Microfinance Bank
- Michael Kimoni (Individual)
- Mbale DLG (Eastern Region)
- United Worldwide Forwarders (Eastern Region)
- Rajbir Rai Singh (Individual — Eastern region)
- St. Jude Children’s Home (Northern Region)
- Christopher Dau (Individual — Northern Region)
- Millenium Security Ltd (Western region)
- DHL (Logistics)
- Goodman Muhangi (Individual — Western Region)
- Fido dido (Manufacturing)
- MDA: Mbarara University of Science and Technology
- Wholesale: Home Uganda Ltd and Royal Pharma Uganda Ltd
- Agriculture: Incafex Ranches Uganda
- Real Estate: Madati (Individual)
- Uganda Clays — Large taxpayer (Construction)
- Country Motel, Koboko
- Trailblazer wards
- Eco Bank
- United Bank for Africa Uganda Ltd (UBA)
- Spedag Interfreight
- Nice House of Plastics
- Lifetime Achievers awards
- Allen Kagina
- Doris Akol
- Gerald Ssendawula
- Justine Zaake
- Keith Muhakanizi
- Ruparelia Group of Companies
- Movit Products
- Kakira Sugar
- Tororo cement
- Stanbic Bank
- MTN Uganda
- Spedag Uganda
- Mext Media Services
- Vision Group
- Photogenix Uganda
- Huawei Uganda
- Harris International
- Lugazi Sugar
- Roofings Ltd
Would you like to get published on this Website? You can now email Uganda Times: an Opinion, any breaking news, Exposes, story ideas, human interest, articles or any interesting videos on: firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos and pictures can be sent to +3197005035050 on WhatsApp